It’s been nearly two years ago since I first posted this Mexican Meatloaf; however, shortly after I removed the picture due to the fact I really had no idea what I was doing then! Of course, I don’t really have any idea now but at least you can tell that there is actually food in this picture! It has taken me that long to get a new picture of this dish.
I have no idea why other than to say when I went gluten free I really was not sure what to use to replace the cream soups. Luckily, after asking on the Facebook Fan Page, I landed on this recipe for Cream of Mushroom Soup on Salad in a Jar. This worked like a charm then I left the mushrooms out and added about 1/2 a cup of Chicken Broth to give the taste of Cream of Chicken Soup. The result? Perfection!
I have loved this meatloaf since my mother-in-law introduced me to it many years ago and it still remains to be one of my husband’s favorite meals and his most requested!
- 1 lb of Ground Beef
- 1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup (or GF Cream of Mushroom, see the link in the above post for the one I used.)
- 1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup (or GF Cream of Chicken Soup.)
- 1 Small Can of Green Chili’s
- 1 16oz Jar of Picante Sauce
- 1 8oz Can of Tomato Sauce (I buy 15oz can and then save 1/2 for later use)
- 1 Cup of Brown Minute Rice (uncooked)
- 2 Cups of Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- 1 Bag of Fritos, Crushed
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- In a skillet brown the meat until well done and drain, then add in all ingredients except for Frito’s and Cheese. This needs to heat until it reaches a bubbling bowl.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non-stick spray, then start layering your ingredients.
- Pour 1/2 of the meat mixture on the bottom of the dish, then sprinkle with crushed Frito’s and top with cheese.
- Repeat this again for the next layer, but this time leave the cheese off.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, carefully remove and add the last layer of cheese then bake for an additional 5 minutes.
I hope you enjoy this delicious dish!
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.
20 Responses to “Mexican Meatloaf”
Pingback: Week of August 20th | Start Gluten Free