I love Okra. Love it! I posted a while back about our Oven Roasted Okra, that we make frequently; however, I decided to take it up a bit and do grilled okra this summer!
My husband plants tons of okra because I could literally eat it every day all day, so we like to have a lot to keep throughout the year. It never is enough though, I always end up needing more!
This summer, we also planted several onions so I have been using those in our grilled okra to give it a bit of flavor or a little extra flavor I should say. I also like to add corn meal to give it some roasted crunch. I just add enough to lightly cover it, then toss it in olive oil and garlic and you are all set to grill it!
The only thing that would make this better is if I could get my picky eater to eat it! He just does not understand how good it is…all he says is “I don’t like it…it’s green.” When will he learn that green things still taste good?!
We typically will grill up some okra just about any time we are using the grill to go with grilled meat. This can be done in foil or on a grill plan; however, I like to just toss it in the cast iron skillet then place that on the grill. I find that to be the easiest way to do it.
Just writing this post and recipe is making me crave this…it’s like candy.
Or am I just crazy to think a veggie is as good as candy?
- 2 Cups Sliced Okra (Fresh or Frozen)
- 1 Clove Crushed Garlic
- 1/8 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1/4 Cup Yellow Corn Meal (Gluten Free)
- Olive Oil
- Salt (Optional to taste)
- In a cast iron skillet (foil/grill pan) coat the bottom with olive oil. Use enough to coat the bottom of the skillet typically about 1-2 Tbsp.
- Place the okra in the skillet then top with the garlic, onion, and corn meal.
- Toss it together to mix then grill it on medium heat.
- It typically takes about 10-20 minutes, but keep a close eye as it will vary based on the heat of the grill. Continue turning it to be sure that it's evenly cooked.
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.