Fried Squash

I have a lot of squash, lots, tons.  That does not describe it even slightly.  My husband took charge with using some of our squash recently.

If you follow on Facebook, then you know I caught my husband in the kitchen frying up squash.  Now, I am not a fan of many things fried and the smell of the grease, well that’s another story.  It makes me feel like I’m clogging an artery by simply smelling it.

My husband on the other hand?  When you say Fried Squash?  He says ‘More, Please’.

This is my husband’s recipe, and it was pretty tasty and easy, even coming from someone who does not like deep fried foods.

All it takes is a little soaking and flouring.

A touch of frying.

Recipe - Fried Squash And a lot of eating!

Print Print Save Save

Fried Squash

Ingredients:

• 1 Large Yellow Squash
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Cup of Milk
  • Flour or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
  • Oil
  • Salt

Directions:

1. Pour enough oil in the skillet to coat the bottom. Then, heat the skillet to a medium heat.
  2. Next, slice the squash into thin slices and set aside.
  3. Then, beat the eggs in a bowl and mix in the milk.
  4. Using a large plate, pour out the flour onto the plate.
  5. Dip the squash into the egg and milk and soak. Once the squash is soaked, dip into the flour. The squash needs to be coated well on both sides with flour.
  6. Lastly, put it in the hot grease and fry. It will need to be turned frequently and quickly to avoid burning.
  7. Add salt to taste, if needed.

This makes the perfect side dish for any home cooked meal or eat as a treat!

Kodak Gallery

20 Responses to “Fried Squash”

1. Jennifer @ MotherThymeposted August 4, 2011 at 11:01 am

Hi Kristy! This recipe is perfect! It is so ironic that you have this today. I have about 4 yellow squash sitting in my veggie basket right now and this sounds perfect! I love that this recipe incorporates ingredients that are already in my pantry so whipping this up will be easy. I look forward to trying this. Thanks!! :)

2. Micha @ Cookin' Mimiposted August 6, 2011 at 12:18 am

Fried squash is one of my favorite summertime delicacies along with fried green tomatoes.

• Mommy Hates Cookingreplied August 6th, 2011 at 7:53 am

Fried Green Tomatoes…Yum!!!

3. A southern girlposted June 3, 2014 at 1:35 pm

I have never tried using egg and milk mixture before putting flour on the squash. I will have to try this. Instead of salt, we always sprinkle them with sugar. It also makes for a great sandwich! Just fried squash between two slices of bread. Yum!

4. Laura Caseposted June 3, 2014 at 1:47 pm

I love fried squash but, dont care for the breading. I cook mine in bacon grease & add my spices later. I drain all the grease off or at it off with paper towels. Yummy!!

5. Penny Thompsonposted June 4, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I use corn meal instead of flour. A lot better taste

• Cindi Johnsonreplied June 6th, 2014 at 12:48 pm

I use Cornmeal too. Just that.. No milk soak. Tastes buttery.

6. Taraposted June 5, 2014 at 12:11 pm

Doing the same with an onion and frying them with squash is also great!

• PAIGE ARMSTRONGreplied June 5th, 2014 at 1:26 pm

OMG! You just gave me the PERFECT solution for getting my husband to LOVE squash!!!! Thank you

7. Kelly Schimcekposted June 5, 2014 at 12:12 pm

We use crushed cornflakes with flour and a little Zatarains. Also, slice the squash up early in the day & put on paper towel to catch excess water…. then do the breading, egging, breading again and then fry in oil. They’ll hold the breading better and be, oh, so, great!

• Kristyreplied June 5th, 2014 at 12:14 pm

That sounds delicious!! I’m going to have to try that one soon. Thanks for sharing!

8. Tracyposted June 5, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I use Louisiana Fish Fry with a little bit of flour…OMG! :)

• susanreplied June 5th, 2014 at 8:43 pm

I love La Fish Fry and use it for all kinds of fried veggies…tomatoes, eggplant, squash an
      d okra.

9. Micheleposted June 5, 2014 at 4:24 pm

I like to fry mine with Don’s Chuck Wagon onion ring mix. Nothing else like it.

• Lynnereplied June 5th, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Where do you find the Onion Ring Mix? That sounds great to use. I grew up on a farm in TX (now live in GA) and we used Buttermilk for ALL things battered and fried!!!!!! Lynne

• Kristyreplied June 5th, 2014 at 6:10 pm

I was thinking the same thing as Lynne. I haven’t heard of that mix, sounds amazing!

10. Stephanieposted July 20, 2014 at 7:05 pm

This isn’t a Gluten free dish if you use regular flour. You will need to substitute a gluten free alternative.

• Kristyreplied July 21st, 2014 at 8:16 pm

Yes, I use gluten free all purpose flour for mine. I actually thought I had that down in the recipe card above but clearly didn’t. Thank you for pointing that out!!

11. Stephanieposted July 23, 2014 at 11:08 pm

Thanks so much! Am looking forward to trying this recipe!

1. Pingback: Recipe Round Up {August 6}