Mocha Cupcakes

As we were preparing for my best friend’s baby shower, I saw these Spiced Mocha Cupcakes on TidyMom. I read through the recipe and although they looked and sounded delicious, I was looking for something simple.  I wanted to use a box cake mix and somehow get the coffee taste in the cupcakes as well.

Along with this, I loved the idea of the whipped cream topping as that’s my favorite icing.

After being inspired by this post, I came up with my own version that is sort of like a shortcut I suppose; however, they turned out delicious!  There was licking of the bowl involved.  I also won’t let you know that I ate so many of them I ended up having to make 48 instead of 24!

Print Print

Mocha Cupcakes

• 1 Box Duncan Hines German Chocolate Cake Mix or Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix
  • 1/3 Cup Oil
  • 1 Cup Coffee (Decaf or Regular)
  • 1/4 Cup Water
  • 3 Eggs
  • 1/2 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
  • 4 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
  • 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
  • 1/4 Tsp Vanilla

Begin by combining the cake mix, oil, coffee, water, and eggs. Mix this well and then prepare as instructed on the cake mix box. This will make 24 cupcakes.

While these are baking beat together the whipping cream, powdered sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. This will beat for about 3-5 minutes or until the texture becomes similar to canned whipped cream. I usually put this in my mixer with the whisk attachment on HI for 3-5 minutes. If it is not fully whipped let it go longer.

Next, fill a cake decorator bag with the whipped cream using a Wilton 1M tip for the swirl. Once the cupcakes have completely cooled decorate them. I used the cinnamon to garnish them as well as some edible pearl dust.

Eat these immediately or refrigerate to keep the whipped cream stiff.

These are delicious, be prepared to eat more than one…or ten!

This post has been linked up to Eat at Home!

9 Responses to “Mocha Cupcakes”

1. Soniaposted July 13, 2011 at 9:29 am

Oh wow, these sound scrumptious. I can’t wait to try. Thank you.

2. Amanda Jeanposted July 13, 2011 at 8:29 pm

I can personally attest these cupcakes are AMAZING! And I am not particularly fond of cupcakes or cakes for that matter but these are irresistible! I am so thankful to have the recipe now!

3. Alexposted August 25, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I have yet to try these cupcakes, I will be making them this afternoon.. But OH MY GOSH! Where oh where did you get those CAMO LINERS! I love them!!!

• Kristyreplied August 25th, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Hope you like the, I found the liners at Hobby Lobby.

• Alexreplied August 26th, 2012 at 8:10 pm

I had to add more instant coffee to actual cupcake to enhance the flavor. Also added a chocolate pudding box. Then I made a totally different frosting. But it turned out great and everyone loved it :) Thank you! I will have to check hobby lobby! I got a pack from walmart, but you can’t really tell it’s camo. Married to a soldier, can you tell? ;)

• Kristyreplied August 27th, 2012 at 3:39 pm

So glad you liked them adapting recipes is the fun part of baking! I would definitely check there, they have a bunch of different types but sounds like camo would be perfect for your family!

4. Audreyposted November 14, 2015 at 5:23 pm

amazing! I added a bit of ground coffee beans on top and totally loved them. Adorable liners!

• Kristyreplied November 15th, 2015 at 11:36 am

So glad you enjoyed them!

1. Pingback: The Week’s Good Eats- Week of December 24th | Start Gluten Free