Ban-Apple Chocolate Chip Waffles

Food allergies are a very prominent part of my family’s daily life. When my nephew was born after many trips to the hospital, my sister and brother-in-law realized that he had life threatening food allergies, 22 to be exact. It was a struggle for them as well as the rest of the family to determine what he could and could not eat. In the midst of that was finding many new websites that address food allergies and great recipes to help those with the same challenge.

I recently found The Food Allergy Mama, and am so excited to be trying some of her recipes. The one that I tried this week was Dairy Free, Egg Free, Banana Chocolate Chip Waffles.

I did adapt the recipe a bit, one of the major things that I changed was omitting the oil. I felt that was a bit too much oil when I typically try to stay away from vegetable oil.

I was so impressed with these, now this will be one of my favorite breakfast dishes around our home. We topped it with some warm maple syrup and sliced bananas. Delicious!

13 Responses to “Ban-Apple Chocolate Chip Waffles”

1. Emberposted August 21, 2010 at 12:20 pm

YUM!

2. Cat@3KidsandUsposted August 22, 2010 at 10:09 am

I can't imagine how hard it is to cook around food allergies. It's bad enough in our house to deal with the likes/dislikes of 5 people but to add allergies on top of that would probably keep me out of the kitchen altogether. I'm glad you found some helpful recipes!

It just so happens I have waffle maker and have been itching to try something other than the basic recipe, so this was perfect for us!

3. Mommy Hates Cookingposted August 22, 2010 at 11:40 am

It does make cooking hard for my sister, plus my nephew is really picky too!
    These are great waffles, and if you don't have allergies issues just use regular chocolate chips and milk. Delicious!

4. Money Saving Queenposted August 27, 2010 at 2:02 pm

GREAT WAFFLES and a sneaky way to get in a banana!

5. opalposted November 2, 2010 at 12:57 pm

this sounds great my son has the same problem with his daughter and man it isnt cheap to make special food for her!!!

• Mommy Hates Cookingreplied November 2nd, 2010 at 1:13 pm

I understand that, it gets expensive fast!

6. Foodallergymamaposted November 22, 2010 at 9:23 pm

yay! LOVE these waffles! so glad you liked them…xo

• Mommy Hates Cookingreplied November 23rd, 2010 at 5:51 am

Yes we loved them!! I can’t wait to try more of your recipes, your site is a huge blessing!

7. Cherylposted July 8, 2012 at 4:53 pm

So happy to be referred to ur blog!

1. Pingback: Allergy Free Pumpkin Waffles « Mommy Hates Cooking